- Matt Yglaesias wrote an excellent FAQ on the economic turmoil going on right now in Europe. If you're not European, read it right now.
- The secretary of state in Colorado banned soldiers fighting overseas from voting. I thought that Republicans supported the troops!
- The ACLU has a great blog post up about the banned books in Texas public schools. I guess Texas is just so tough and manly that they have to shield their kids from anything too scary. Because that totally makes sense.
- Elizabeth Warren speaks the truth:
- A while back, I posted about why I think Michele Bachmann will get the nomination. I'm standing by that, while Markos Moulitsas brings out some great stats on previous elections.
- Looks as if 4 out of 5 Evangelical teenagers has had premarital sex. Can't imagine that the American Taliban is too happy with that news.
- Anwar al-Awlaki was an American citizen that the government targeted and assassinated with no Constitutionally-mandated oversight. While he may have been inciting and supporting terrorism, he did not do enough to be expatriated. Here's why.
|Okinawa, Japan at day break.|
- Truth from Alyssa Rosenberg:
Getting so upset over a name feels silly sometimes, but if you can get people to reject membership in a group, you’re a step closer to getting them to not make more substantive gestures of membership, like, say, donating time and money to Planned Parenthood. Of course, it doesn’t help that awesome feminist creators may put strong women on screen, or situations that explore the systematic oppression of women, but neglect to (or carefully avoid to) name feminism for what it is. Correct me if I’m wrong, but does anyone ever explicitly label themselves a feminist or call sexism by its name in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Though I will say, hearing Anya, talking through her wedding vows, declare that “I, Anya, promise to… love you, to cherish you, to honor you, but not to obey you, of course, because that’s anachronistic and misogynistic and who do you think you are, like a sea captain or something?” is awesome.